HDCS is excited to host a series of FREE educational webinars to provide up to date information, insights and recommendations on best practices around cannabis banking.
Please see our upcoming events and webinars below to register.
All That Cash: best practices for cash management and cannabis banking
Took place Tuesday June 29th from 9:00 - 9:30 am PDT
This webinar, co-hosted by HDCS and NatureTrak, will address the key considerations and best practices surrounding cash management and cannabis banking. Like casinos, MSB, and jewelers, Cannabis Related Businesses (CRB’s) are cash-intensive. As such, they require robust BSA/AML controls and oversight. And there are some risks that are unique to CRB’s that require a purpose-built compliance program and purpose built technology platform. Cannabis Banking is complex, but manageable with the right strategy and tools. In this webinar, we will explain what is required and demonstrate industry-leading technology that is designed to make cannabis banking efficient, safe and profitable.
Join this 30-minute webinar to learn:
- AML/BSA best practices for managing cash-intensive businesses
- The unique requirements for managing cannabis related businesses
- To learn how technology can assist with cash management, monitoring, and audits/exams
Cannabis Banking: Success Stories & Cautionary Tales
Took place Wednesday, April 28, 2021 9:00am – 9:30am PST
This webinar, co-hosted by HDCS and RiskScout, will provide a brief update on pending legislation and outline what a successful cannabis banking program looks like. We discuss specific examples of banks and credit unions that have achieved their economic goals and passed regulatory scrutiny. We also will share cautionary tales from financial institutions that have failed to implement best practices and have fallen short of their goals.
Watch this 30 minute webinar recording to learn:
- What a comprehensive cannabis banking program looks like.
- Success stories: Examples of successful and tested cannabis banking programs.
- Cautionary tales: What to avoid when implementing and managing a cannabis banking program.
- A quick update on the cannabis industry and pending legislation.
Are you ready for SAFE Banking?
Took place Thursday, January 28th from 9:00 - 9:30 am PST
With Democratic control of the Senate, the SAFE Banking Act that has already passed the House three times is very likely to make it to the Senate floor for a vote in the first congressional session of 2021. If passed, the legislation will provide a federal "safe harbor” that makes it legal for financial institutions to provide financial services to cannabis businesses in states that have legalized cannabis. This is great news for financial institutions that are considering or are already active in cannabis banking. But the legislation and the regulations that follow will have implications for all banks and credit unions, even those who choose not to serve the industry.
So it is important for all bankers to learn about SAFE Banking, its implications, and to start developing a plan and policies for their financial institution.
Join this 30 minute webinar to learn:
- What's in the bill (HR1595) and what to expect if it passes
- What's required if you decide to bank cannabis
- What's required if you decide not to bank cannabis
Listen to our CEO's interview on the Thinking Outside the Bud podcast!
If you have questions about cannabis banking but are afraid to ask them, this podcast is the perfect primer to learn more about the status of laws and regulations and the best practices that are required to bank cannabis safely and profitably.
Andy is a former founder and CEO of community banks and is also an expert on the regulated cannabis industry. So he is uniquely qualified to speak to the concerns and opportunities surrounding cannabis banking from a banker's perspective.Listen Now
Cannabis Banking—How to Build a Safe and Profitable Program
Took place Tuesday, December 15th at 9:00 - 10:00 am PST
This webinar, co-hosted by HDCS, NatureTrak, and Simplifya, will explain how to bank cannabis safely and profitably. Together, we’ll share insights into the policies, controls, ERM, and monitoring that are required to bank cannabis safely and pass regulatory scrutiny. We’ll also explore the pricing and scaling strategies that can create a new profit center for your financial institution.
Register for this webinar and we’ll walk you through the best practices, resources, and technologies that have helped other financial institutions build successful cannabis banking programs.
To learn more about our strategic alliance with NatureTrak and Simplifya, see our recent press release.
Got Cannabis? How to Detect and Monitor Cannabis Deposits
Took place Thursday, October 15th, 2020 at 9:00 - 10:00 am PDT
Did you know that more and more BSA/AML audits are uncovering hidden cannabis deposits? It’s less surprising when you understand that the legal cannabis industry in the U.S. is approaching $20B in annual revenue and naturally a lot of that money is finding its way into the banking system. And illegal cannabis sales are even larger than legal cannabis sales and that money is being discovered in banks, as well.
It’s important for all bank leaders and compliance professionals to become aware of the realities of cannabis, make informed decisions, and take appropriate actions based on their financial institution’s risk appetite and objectives.
Attend this free webinar to learn:
- about the cannabis industry and the associated laws and regulations
- how to proactively screen your existing deposits portfolio for cannabis
- how to monitor and detect cannabis businesses and deposits on an ongoing basis
- what to do when you find cannabis deposits in your system
Encore Webinar (Free):
Cannabis Banking can Boost your Bottom Line
Took place Thursday, August 6th, 2020 at 9:00am - 10:00pm PST
Attend this webinar to learn how other financial institutions are banking cannabis, safely and profitably. We'll walk you through both the financial and compliance equations to help you understand what a Cannabis Banking Program could look like at your financial institution and how it can translate to your bottom line.
In the meantime, here are a few things to consider:
- Cannabis Businesses represent a new source of liquidity for lending.
- Cannabis deposits require enhanced due diligence and BSA/AML controls.
- You can and should get paid for managing additional risk.
- Cannabis Banking can provide a 100 bps of additional spread, net of the costs of managing the program.
- All of this can be achieved without significant investments in new personnel and technology (learn how to avoid unsustainable programs, technologies, and pricing models)
Schedule a FREE Cannabis Banking Consultation
We are available to schedule a short video conference for any of your team to go through the Cannabis opportunity and what we believe best practices look like. We are also happy to conduct a free assessment of your existing or proposed program and provide recommendations.
Just let us know a time that is convienent for you!